Try making these mealworm biscuits, which will surprise you with their unusual sweet and savoury taste.
- 50 g mealworms
- 115 g unsalted softened butter
- 100 g crystal sugar
- 100 g brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 5 ml vanilla extract
- 180 g plain flour
- 2,5 g baking soda
- 2,5 g salt
- 50 g chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a frying pan, fry the mealworms over medium heat until crispy (about 3-4 minutes).
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Stir in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir gently until combined.
- Stir in the mealworms and chocolate chips.
- Form cookies on the prepared baking sheet (about one tablespoon of dough per cookie) and bake for 10-12 minutes or
- until edges are golden brown.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
You can also prepare the mealworms in the oven by spreading them out on a baking sheet and baking at 180°C for 10-12 minutes.
For a healthier option, try replacing the chocolate chips with dried fruit or chopped nuts.